- Gulf War syndrome
- Viol Keeve – April 7th 2003
- Veterans like Kirt Love fight a desperate
battle against the Pentagon–
- about guiltily remained enlightenments and
the own credibility.
- " The Shamall-Winde, is called Desert
storms, sweeps every day
- over the country and whirls tiny particles
around ", Kirt Love says.
- The 39-year old is Gulf War veteran.
" if a tank goes up in flames,
- enriched uranium is set free, finest dust.
You inhale it, have it on
- your skin, in your clothing. They know,
that it is dangerous, never
- the less they put down it again ".
Veterans like Kirt Love knows
- the dangers from the last Gulf war and
warned before a new in
- vain. Many soldiers the " operation
Desert Storm " suffers under
- the so-called Gulf War syndrome today:
Rash, diarrhea, fevers,
- memory-difficulties, muscle - and
- depressions, aggressions, permanent
tiredness and Chronic
- " For the Pentagon, the case is
clear: Such soldiers have not
- become ready with the Stress, the burden
of the war. That is
- a shame, many go home and talk about it
", Kirt Love says embittered.
- In 1991, he belonged to a signal-unit,
that found out positions of the
- Iraqi front for the advancing artillery.
" That was rather horrifying,
- because we were at it very near and had
" no heavy arms, he says.
- " We could only observe the other
side and could hope that they
- don't kill us. We had damned good luck
- No right war fought
- After end of war, in May 1991, he watched
- demolished Iraqi ammunition-bunkers.
" The chemicals burned
- in different colors, says he, a firework,
a colorful trip. The Pentagon
- claimed later, Kirt Love has been distant
35 kilometers of the
- demolition. " It was 1,5 kilometers,
more not ", he emphasizes.
- " They could walk there ".
- Umso furious did he the return of the
soldiers to America nine
- months later: It was no reception for
- even said, for a right war, the fight has
been too short at the golf.
- 1993, Kirt Love became sick, disabled, his
family turned away.
- Already in his unit, he had increased
suddenly like other GI strongly. "
- First, I, okay, thought that, the age
" is, he says. " Later I have out-
- found that the one of the symptoms is if
they was " exposed
- chemical fight-materials. Love lost the
feeling in hands and feet,
- could neither eat drinks. " Meals
felt like shattered glass, water
- like battery-acidity ", he says.
- Where nothing can be, also nothing is
- " I wanted that doctors examine my
tissue, useless ", Love explains,
- rubs with the hand over the eyes and lifts
the T-shirt. " The simplest
- would be to be analyzed the fat-tissue at
the stomach, that stores
- chemicals and metals, that the body has
lifted, the longest. then
- twitches the shoulders. They wanted to do
" not even one hair-
- analysis. That shows however: They want no
- Love has established a Veteran
organization meanwhile and drives
- an Internet site (www.gulflink.org), on
which, he doesn't say without
- pride, regularly also the Pentagon surfs.
He has entered a small
- success furthermore: Since January 2003,
twelve years after his use,
- Love is regarded hindered as 60 percent
and receives 800 dollars
- per month, previously it was only ten
percent–103 dollars in the
- The arrogant illness?
- The American medicine-historian Elaine
show-ages considers the
- "Gulf War syndrome" a mass
phenomenon, a hysterical epidemic.
- Also media-researchers know: The more
reports, the more sick
- persons. It is showy however that veterans
of the golf suffer from
- the troubles as repatriates from other
wars double so frequently.
- Medical studies have covered meanwhile:
Not the head, the body
- is sick. Over the cause puzzles experts:
Was it the fine, radioactive
- dust-particles of the uranium-containing
US-Munition, that were
- inhaled by the soldiers? Their ultramodern
- arms with extremely long-wave radiation,
- that was destroyed by the GI,
anti-poison-gas-pills, that soldier
- swallowed, or the smoke of the burning
- More than 200 million dollars, the
Department of Defense has spent
- up to now in order to examine the Gulf War
syndrome. Result: No
- scientifically verifiable context exists
between the illnesses and the
- war at the golf. You/they are not regarded
in the USA as occupation-
- illness until now. Result of the war of
1991: From 700 000 soldiers,
- only 300 died, only 400 were
injured–however approximately 200 000
- GI, who fought in Kuwait, has submitted
Affairs propositions with the
- department of veteran because of medical
problems – like Kirt Love.
- Unkonzentriert, fatigué, unemployed,
- The mechanic is unemployed today. "
Who already takes somebody
- like me, that cannot concentrate? There is
sufficiently other, he says.
- " That was different " before
the war. At that time has cut off in her
- intelligence-test better, Venus-Val
Hammack supplements. He lives
- with the 47-year old in Mount Jackson in
Virginia. Also she is Veteran,
- worked in the war in the headquarters in
Rhyad and received heavy
- breath - and weight-problems after her
return. " I became sick, only
- weighed 44 kilos and had to retire "
from the service, she says. " A
- specialist has proven " late heavy
metals in the blood.
- Unremittingly both veterans quote
scientific studies, photos and
- documents, letter of the authorities,
proof show that that, about which
- they talk, is real. For twelve years, Kirt
Love has produced a register
- of veterans with Gulf War syndrome, their
use-places, illnesses, that
- " Desert Storm Battle registers
", collects possessed information to the
- old and to the new war–from new chemical
fight-materials up to the
- number of the ordered " Body bags
" for the dead soldiers at the golf.
- Work against unconsciousness and
- Venus-Val Hammack had met him four years
ago on a Veteran event
- in Atlanta.
"All have left the area, only she sat there and trembled ",
- he says. " As he asked, whether he
could help me, I could first believe "
- that not at all, she supplements. Somebody
took care of her. The
- feeling, in the sting been left to his,
eint the two - like their untiring
- work against unconsciousness and
bureaucracy. Strength costs
- years-long accusations, sometimes Kirt
Love sinks like after a big
- effort in the conversation together. It is
stuff of a tough fight the
- gestures, that betray more than their
- press-folder. Venus cancels over his/its
back: " It is important, also
- for the andern ".
- Kirt Love nods: " We want that the
Justice department deals with
- the veterans. Even if it helps us no
longer, then future soldiers ".
- responsibly feels them. Fighting for
himself and she has made others
- careful. They lift each interview. That is
not only mistrust. Venus
- has begun what was said on the hearings of
the Veteran group with
- video-receptions in order certainly to be.
" I also forget my sentences "
- Gulf War II
- Venus-Val Hammacks and Kirt Love feel as
the eigent-lichen losers
- of the fights at the gulf, unloved heroes,
forgotten warriors, are as
- uncomfortable Mahner. In the Pentagon, one
even rumors, some
- veterans faked their ailment. That
outrages them particularly. Also
- therefore, they have organized themselves.
Their goal is clear: the
- examinations of the causes and financial
compensation. " Above all
- that fears the Pentagon ", he says.
" It would cost more than hundred
- billion dollars, only the compensation,
not research and treatment ".
- Now war is again, memories at experiences
in the Iraq become awake.
- Venus-Val Hammeck escaped a Scud-Rakete,
Kirt Love a rocket-
- impact in the nightly Bombarde-ment
between British and the republican
- guards. Defection-fears bother to have not
brought many repatriates to
- something from the first Gulf war, the
feeling, to end at that time.
- Nevertheless: They didn't want a reprint.
" US-Soldatens should defend
- America in the country, more not ",
Love finds. " I am a veteran. Bush
- is not it.
- Viola Keeve works as free journalist for
magazines and newspapers in Cologne